Section-6 Request for obtaining Information.
6(1) A Person, who desires to obtain any information under is act, shall make a request in writing or through electronic means in English or Hindi or in the official language of the area in which the application is being made. Accompanying such fee as may be prescribed, to-
(a) The Central Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, of the concerned public authority;
(b) The Central Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, specifying the particulars of the information sought by him or her.
Provided that where such request cannot be made in writing, The Central Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall render all the responsible assistance to the person making the request orally to reduce the same in writing
2) An applicant making request fro information shall not be required to give any reason for requesting the information or any other personal details except those that may be necessary for contacting him.
3) Where an application is made to a public authority requesting for an information,-
i) Which is held by another public authority; or
ii) The subject matter of which is more closely connected with the functions of another public authority, to which such application is made, shall transfer the application or such part of it as may be appropriate to that other public authority and inform the applicant immediately about such transfer:
Provided that the transfer of an application pursuant to this sub section shall be made as soon as practicable but in no case later than five days form the date of receipt of the application.
Section-7 Disposal of request.
(1) Subject to the proviso to sub section (2) of section 5 or the proviso to subsection (3) of section 6, The Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, on receipt of a request under section (6) shall as expeditiously as possible and in any case within thirty days of the receipt of the request either provide the information on payment of such fee as may be prescribed or reject the request for any of the reasons specified section 8 and 9.
Provided that where the information sought for concern the life or liberty of a person the same shall be provided within forty-eight hours of the receipt of the request.
2) If the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer as the case may be, fails to give decisions on the request for information within the period specified under sub-section (1) the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall be deemed to have refused the request.
3) Where a Decision is taken to provide the information on payment of any further fee representing the cost of providing the information, The Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer as case may be, shall send and intimation to the persons making the request, giving.
(a) The detail of further fee representing the cost of providing the information as determined by him, together with the calculation made to arrive at amount in accordance with fee prescribed under sub section (1) requesting him to deposit that fee, and the period intervening between the dispatch of the said intimation and payment of fee shall be excluded for the purpose of calculating the period of thirty days referred to in that sub-section.
(b) Information concerning his or her right with respect to review the decision as to the amount of fee charged or form access provided, including the particulars of the appellate authority, time limit, process and any other forms.
4) Where access to the record or a part thereof is required to be provided under this act and the person to whom access is to be provided is seniority disabled, The Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall provide assistance to enable access to he information including providing such assistance as may be appropriate for the inspection.
5) Where access to information is to be provided in the printed or in any electronic format, the applicant shall, subject to the provisions of the sub section (6) pay such fee as may be prescribed.
Provided that the fee prescribed under sub-section (1) of section 6 and sub section (1) and (5) of section 7 shall be responsible and no such fee shall be charged from the persons who are of below poverty line as may be determined by the appropriate Government.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub section (5) the person making request fro the information shall be provided the information free of charge where a public authority fails to comply with the time limits specified in sub section(1)
7) Before taking any division under sub section (1) the central Public Information Officer or state public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall take in to consideration the representation made by a third party under section 11
8) Where a request has been rejected under sub-section (1) the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be shall communicate to the person making the request.
i) The reasons for such rejection.
ii) The period within which an appeal against such rejection may be preferred; and
iii) The particulars of the appellate authority.
(9) An information shall ordinarily be provided in the form in which it is sought unless it would disproportionately divert the resources of the public authority or would be detrimental to the safety or preservation of the record in question.